Making yourself known is the best way of finding other musicians.
1. Go to jazz clubs, jam sessions and anywhere you can meet other musicians. Make sure you introduce yourself to as many people there as you can including the musicians in the band. For all the people in the audience, chances are that they are there because they either play or really love jazz. If they don’t play themselves, they probably have friends that play. Give your phone number to everyone you can and tell them to call you if they ever want to jam.
2. Put up flyers on bulletin boards at colleges and rehearsal spaces. The more musicians who know about you, the more are your chances of someone calling you to play.
3. If you join the Musicians Union in your town, you can meet hundreds of musicians by showing up for rehearsal bands rehearsals which happen everyday all day. You need to let EVERYONE you know that you play an instrument and you’re looking for other people to play with.
4. Set up your own Youtube and Facebook and or Instagram channel and make quality videos of you jamming to play-a-long records and then start getting people to listen and comment on them.
5. Join groups on Facebook which are Jazz oriented or (there’s hundreds of them) and post that you are looking for other musicians to play jazz.
6. If you take some jazz improvisation lessons at a local music school, you will meet lots of people there and you can also ask your teacher if he knows of anyone looking for other musicians to play.
Making yourself known is the key element of finding people to play jazz with. It may seem obvious, but the reason that many musicians sit home alone and never play with others is that they are too introverted or too lazy to put the energy out there and meet people. If you are good or even semi good, let people know and you will start to finding people with the same interest. There are so many more people just like you who are asking the same question. They’d love to be able to play in a band but they don’t know how to find other musicians. They may be your colleagues at work or your neighbors, so tell EVERYONE!!
Website by Never Alone Business Services